Thursday, February 28, 2013

If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.

You know what you get when you write juvenile blogs and columns? (Well, aside from judgemental looks from room mothers and bumped up a few spots on the CPS watch list...)

You get invited to read to a bunch of students at a private school in Oakton to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday and Read Across America day.

So, tomorrow I'll be the guest reader at a primarily-Turkish-student-body school. Information that is only relevant in that I get a Turkish tea and Turkish snack break between reading Dr. Seuss books to the lower and upper schools. All of that is awesome. It's the invitation to also participate in a Turkish bath that is making me somewhat uncomfortable...

(I'm kidding, of course. I'm perfectly comfortable with that.)

It is also school spirit week at this institution and the day I'm visiting is dress-in-all-the-same-color day. As the cheery-and-not-at-all-moody-person-I-am, I'm going with head-to-toe black, which will be worn with the red and white striped hat the School Director is providing for me.

To recap: Tomorrow, I'll be reading childrens books and enjoying Turkish delight while dressed as the cat in the hat.

Life is weird.

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”  ― Dr. Seuss



5 comments:

dilettante07 said...

Nice quote. Definitely feeling like I reside on the wrong end of a telescope right now. Nothing to do but enjoy the insanity of it.

Be sure to take of your hat before you enter the bath. It's rude if you don't.

Brutalism said...

Tante - Just keep the telescope away from the business end of the nanny. And thanks for the advice. I'm sure you're no stranger to the Turkish baths.

dilettante07 said...

And likewise for the sage advice on where not to put my telescope.

kath said...

How exactly did this come to be? Can you post the text of the invitation?

I'm thinking something like:
"I will not say the F word here, I will not speak of turds or beer. I will not, cannot share these at school. I will not, cannot. That's the rule."

And then you break into the Rules to Play song from your youth.

Brutalism said...

Kath - They're just lucky I left the cigarette holder at home.

(P.S. my word verification for this post was "yurines" ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)